Friday, August 26, 2022

The Front Porch

The Front Porch


The front porch is my coffee place. It is just big enough for two gliders, which are comfy, (although someday I dream of a rocker), and a little table for my coffee cup and the book I never get around to reading. I always intend to read my book, but too many other things distract me. 


The porch is far enough from the street that I can just wave and exchange a 'Good Morning', but not engage in conversation if I don't feel sociable, (which is most often, l won't lie). I can watch a little slice of life unfold before me and enjoy it in peace with my coffee... well mostly.


The garden before me, is not at its best in late August and this year it is especially dry and worn, and a bit bald in some places due to the yard work of the resident bunnies. (Not a real fan of their work)

However, it is a place of endless activity with something new each day. If I take a bowl of peanuts out with me, I will be entertained by the chipmunks, squirrels and blue jays, that will immediately home in on the yard. The same ones seem to visit and become familiar to, and with me. It is amazing to interact so closely with them; I consider it a privilege.



As I sit here I see the changes in the garden and the seasons. There is a late daylily clump blooming down near the road. It is a beautiful rust colour, deep and rich.


The hostas are in flower and I see snapdragons that have popped up in the big tub, a renewal and surprise from last year. I see that I will get a ripe heritage tomato shortly.

When I add water to freshen the bird bath, I see that the patient mama mourning dove, who seems to have been sitting on her nest in the blue spruce tree for so long, has at least one young dove finally.


I see that the climbing rose is blooming again, late alliums will soon have flowers, and the heuchera, with their lovely deep purple leaves, are still blooming. 



I can see that some of the holes in the bee house are filled, and that there is a profusion of seed pods on the orange butterfly weed. Hopefully both mean good things for the spring.



While I do not see Monarchs in the garden this morning, there are many Cloud butterflies.  There is also a new bird; small and brown, with no wing markings. I think it may be a female Common Yellowthroat, who has graced us with a visit.


This porch is not perfect perhaps, but it is a perfect place for me. While the world changes at a pace that is hard and sometimes frightening to me, my little world here, changes at a pace pre-ordained, slowly with the seasons. It is a pace that suits me and feeds my soul. 















No comments:

Post a Comment

Réflexions sur la perte et le deuil

  Réflexions sur la perte et le deuil La perte est un compagnon tout au long de la vie. Dans l'ordre des choses plein d'espoir, les ...