Sunday, October 2, 2022

A Sudden Serendipity

 


Whilst I was enjoying my first cup of coffee this morning, I asked Alexa for the day's forecast. She told me it would be 14 and sunny today. As the sun was actually shining outside, I decided that since Alexa would not knowingly lie to me, that it would be the perfect kind of autumn day to head to the forest. (If you don't have an Alexa at your house, she is a magic ball that sits on a chest in my living room and she knows things. She will turn on the light if you ask her and when my four-year grandson said to her the other day, 'Alexa, do something', it turns out she can moo...amazing! Sorry, wandered off the trail there.)


We have had several really dismal days but they brought some much needed rain, so I was hoping to see some woodland fungi friends who have been largely missing in action all summer. The Sudden Forest tract is one of my favorite places to walk and is less than a half hour's drive away. I can take the back roads all the way there which is such a bonus; country scenery and no traffic which makes it okay to do less than the posted speed and sight see. The trees are still rather muted in colour, with more yellows than vivid oranges or reds. The soya bean crops in the fields are ready to be harvested. The corn fields show that this year's crop has struggled.


On my way I paused by this soya field to admire a pair of Sandhill cranes. Their plumage is reverting to the grey tones that they arrive with in the spring. There are only patches now of the russet that they turn when they are nesting here. There was no youngster with this pair so maybe these ones are not old enough to breed yet. They are such a beautiful sight.


I was met at my car by low flying greeters. This lovely red seraphim with its angel wings facing forward might be an Autumn Meadowhawk dragonfly, one of the  three red-bodied Meadowhawks common to this area. It is interesting how many ancient belief systems find the dragonfly symbolic of transformation and adaptability; emerging from life in the water to become graceful creatures of the air, an amazing metamorphosis.  

Lovely things were waiting just along the path...

A bolete mushroom that was clearly tasty,

ancient liverwort fruiting,

a floating frog,

a scorpion-like Pelecinid wasp,

crimson patches in the canopy,

uniquely scarred tree trunks,
a green stink bug in its 4th nymph stage,


and a disgruntled ribbon snake that I came upon it while it was sunning in a warm spot on the path. It reminded me of deer, who when startled run a short ways off then stop to peer at you from that safe distance ...or maybe glare.


On weekdays this is a really quiet place where it is possible to walk without seeing another soul, at least not a two-legged one. On this particular morning I heard voices, and rounding a bend in the path saw three people approaching. I prepared to pass a 'Good Morning' or 'Nice day' and carry on. It was obvious that they were enjoying one another's company and the forest, which I thought was lovely. As I passed several other things clicked; they all had cameras, they were looking at the underside of a log, they may be looking for mushrooms, and one looked really familiar. I decided that it was worth finding out, so I inquired, 'Tony?'

Then the tumblers all fell into place; these were my friends Tony, Rachel and Luke. Why didn't I recognize them? Because we had never met before. In person that is; we are all members of a special interest group on Facebook for those who photograph and study mushrooms, mosses, ferns and lichen. We had admired each others' photos and exchanged comments for several years now. Within this large international group are these three who live relatively close to me in Ontario, so I watched their posts more carefully because we might see some of the same things. 

serendipity

 noun
the fact of something interesting or pleasant happening by chance; a happy accident


It was liking meeting family...I was so thrilled. I feel that I know Tony a little better as we had spoken more often online. He has such a passion and transparent enthusiasm for the beauty of nature in all its forms. He is always helpful and encouraging and set the tone for my participation in the group. I knew he had mourned the loss of his beloved dog but unexpectedly been adopted by a very special feline and fallen completely in love. I know he does beautiful work as a contractor, loves to camp up north and comes from a big family. As my elderly aunt would say of my late uncle, 'a lovely man'.

I knew less about Luke, but he was always kind, accessible and ready to help. Rachel lives north of Guelph, owns and clearly loves, horses, and struck me as independent, fun and feisty. I was also aware that these three had met several times to explore together. 

We didn't actually visit long, just long enough to enjoy some discoveries together, take and share some photos, and chat a little. It was so wonderful! I found out that Luke is to be married soon and Tony had just returned from a camping trip up north having left some of his heart there. Rachel wanted to know what was on my camera from the day and took a photo of all of us together. 


It was the best surprise to come upon them in this way.
It was a joyful reunion of kindred spirits.
It filled my heart and lifted my spirits.
It was truly a serendipity...a Sudden Serendipity.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Réflexions sur la perte et le deuil

  Réflexions sur la perte et le deuil La perte est un compagnon tout au long de la vie. Dans l'ordre des choses plein d'espoir, les ...